Thursday, August 04, 2011

Shutter Island (2010)


As one would expect from a Scorsese movie, one can appreciate much of the craft.  Unfortunately plot weaknesses means this film holds only passing interest. The solution to the central mystery was obvious about 15 minutes in, which would be forgivable if it weren't for the fact that the details of the resolution are so damn absurd. 

I've never been much taken by Leonardo DiCaprio.  He always seems to be trying to be a serious actor. Not that he's bad exactly, in fact he's generally pretty good, but whenever I watch him I feel a demand is being placed on me to focus on him acting. It always takes me out of the movie. In Shutter Island, he is featured with Mark Ruffalo’s bemused aloofness supporting. It is hard not to like Ruffalo and he is good here.  But the pairing with the overly serious, intense DiCaprio doesn’t work.  They don’t have chemistry and seem to be pulling the film in different directions. 

No comments: